Friday, May 29, 2015

Cycling to a higher realm

Trey
One of my dearest and best friends of 37 years
left this world suddenly on Memorial Day while on a regular bike ride with his wife Ann.
He arrived at the summit just a few minutes before her and when she caught up she found him
down on the road still clipped in his pedals.
Apparently it was heart failure.
The shocking thing is that he was 55, in perfect health with excellent weight and blood levels.
As Ann put it, "It was simply his time to go."
And then this beautiful declaration:
"He is my eternal companion-he is still just a few minutes ahead of me."

Trey is an exceptional person.
Our friendship goes back to university days.
I always felt like he was a brother to me.
I sang at his baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(in which he is currently serving as a Bishop),
I, and my other dear best friend Robbie, introduced him to his awesome wife.
(Ann was one of my mission companions.)
Trey is literally an "Ironman."
Almost 24 years ago he was hit head-on by a narcoleptic driver while cycling,
By all accounts he should have been dead.
After countless surgeries he is filled with metal
He is a miracle.

I blogged about our relationship in a post a few years ago.
You can read it HERE


Trey wrote an excellent book in 2013 that is on many 'must read' lists.
It details his accident and the lessons learned through his bike-riding experiences.
It is titled:
'Pedal Forward: The 10 Life and Business Lessons I Have Learned on My Bike'
You can read more about Trey here:

I have been a bit weepy this week as well as remembering so many wonderful times.
I was so looking forward to spending time with Trey and Ann
this summer as they come to Utah for their youngest son's wedding.
(Of course, I know Trey will be here regardless of his passing.)

This is how I've been feeling:
"The thing about old friends is not that they love you,
but that they know you.
And then one of them is gone, and you have lost a chunk of yourself.
Loss is singular, one beloved at a time."
~Anna Quindlen

Until we meet again my friend,
Happy cycling in the great beyond!

4 comments:

Scott Boice said...

Trilby we lost a best friend a two years ago. He was a guy like Trey. He lit up the room when he came in with his smile and he was fit and active. His wife and our family have been going through the grieving process and somehow you get through it. The Lord is there and will comfort you. It is so sad about Trey and I feel so bad that I didn't connect with him after his mission. I had met Ann before she met Trey and I thought we would have been good friends. I am so happy they are sealed forever. What a blessing. Isn't it amazing that my crazy husband and I are still together and so happy. I am so grateful for the gospel and how it has helped us to have such a rewarding life together. Trilby you are an amazing singer and actress. I don't think anyone can sing as good as you. Oh how we loved to hear you sing and remember the summer theatre at Sundance so amazing. I am reading Pres HInckleys biography and got to the part about him touring with the young ambassodors in Russia. Was that with you??

artistwife said...

You've said it so well Trilby! I feel the same.

Scott Boice said...

oh that comment from Scott Boice was really Stacey Boice talking.

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Stacey, Thank you for your kind words! I have thought about you many times and missed you these many years. We had such great times back in the day, didn't we? I'd love to connect through email or something. Just not sure how to do that? (Hi there Scott!) Hope you see this.