Saturday, October 18, 2014

"Work is what you do for others...Art is what you do for yourself." ~Stephen Sondheim


 On our recent trip to Chicago
this is where I lived for two entire days.
The Art Institute of Chicago.
And I still didn't see everything within it's walls.


 The museum is just a block from the edge of Millennium Park.


 There was an interesting fountain with images of faces projected
 on large columns facing each other.
Each face would morph into another face.
After each face would smile it would purse it's lips
and a strong stream of water would shoot out.
Little children were having such fun playing underneath it.



This famous painting, 
'A Sunday on La Grande Jatte'
by French painter, George Seurat
has always been a favorite.
One of my most loved musicals is Stephen Sondheim's
Sunday in the Park with George
based on Seurat's life and this painting.
The painting was done in the style of Pointillism,
  painted with thousands of dots.



 I have always adored this painting as well.
'Paris Street, Rainy Day'
by Gustave Caillebotte.


 There were several paintings by Monet.
His famous Water Lilies series and this one called 'Irises.'
It really was a thrill to realize I was seeing the originals
of so many paintings I had studied in my 
arts and humanities classes.


Exciting to see several Degas' ballerinas.
I loved these paintings as a child;
ballet being my first love.


 I got carried away taking so many photos and trying to take it all in
 that I had to take a mid-day break to recharge my battery
 (and my phone battery.)


There was a special exhibit of the work of Belgian Surrealist 
Rene Magritte.
I am not a huge fan of Surrealism
but wanted to see it while I was there.
It was strange and fascinating.

infashionchicago.com
 I recognized many of the images from art books I have read.

timeout.com
 This image is featured prominently in John Green's book,
The Fault in Our Stars.
'This is not a pipe.'


 There was a gallery that displayed all of the beautiful works of
  Tiffany Decor and Glass Company
Especially adored this exquisite window called 'Lilies.' (1892-95)


And, of course, the famous Tiffany Lamp.


 There was an entire wall titled 'American Windows'
by famed French stained glass artist
Marc Chagall (1887-1985)


 This was really exquisite.
A wax on plaster head created by
American artist, Malvina Hoffman (1887-1966)
of the renowned ballerina Pavlova.
She had seen her perform in London
and they became close friends.



'The Old Guitarist'
Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)


 'Abraham Lincoln'
Daniel Chester French (1850-1931)
This is the bronzed, smaller version
of the life-sized Lincoln Memorial
in Washington D.C.


 There was an entire gallery devoted to glass paper-weights as art.
A gentleman had donated his lifetime collection.
Several walls had mountings of the weights
 done in  patterns like kaleidoscopes.
They were just beautiful.
If you look closely you will see bees
 surrounding a hive with flowers.


 No museum is complete without a portrait gallery.
I was particularly drawn to this emotional painting,
'The Captive Slave'
by John Philip Simpson (1827)


This beautiful memorial fountain is at the edge of Millennium Park.
The park was finished in 2004.



The day before we were to fly home from Chicago
a distraught O'Hara Airport employee tried to kill himself 
by burning a major traffic control center.
2000 flights were cancelled and
 the entire Midwest was at a stand-still.
It affected the entire airline industry.
Some of my husband's colleagues were at the airport
 ready to board a flight.
They opted to rent a car and drive to Indiana to fly out.
When we arrived at the airport Saturday morning, 
it was like a ghost-town.
Still many cancelled flights.
Our morning flight was delayed 4 times until the evening
but fortunately we were able to fly home.
Quite the adventure.
I will close this post with a photo I took outside my plane window.
Doesn't it look like ice on an ocean?

1 comment:

Mar C said...

I really enjoy learning about new places that you have visited. The photo's are awesome as well.