Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Would you like to sit through our family vacation 'slides'...or not?

Suffice it to say that I blog for myself.
It is therapeutic and my way of scrapbooking I guess.
I heard recently that not many people are reading 
or writing blogs anymore.
Oh well...
 On the hike to Delicate Arch at Arches National Park.

We decided to go on a sort of 'ancestor connection' trip.
Some of my roots are in the beautiful red rock country of Southeastern Utah.
My mother grew up in Monticello 
and we spent lots of wonderful time there.
 God's Masterpieces.


 The 3 Gossips


 We couldn't have picked a more gorgeous day to visit 
Arches in Moab.
The temperatures were not unbearable
 and there was a slight breeze.
As you can see the blue skies were gorgeous!

We enjoyed our time visiting the 'Windows' section.


 I took this photo while on my back
underneath an arch.

 My 4th great-grandfather, Lemuel Hardison Redd
was one of the original leaders of the harrowing
Hole-in-the-Rock expedition.

 We ventured out to Bluff, Utah where my Grandpa John was born.
Bluff Fort has the original cabins and items from those families 
who settled there after they arrived.



 Lemuel H. Redd

 We enjoyed our visit there.
It was neat to talk with the LDS missionaries 
who were assigned there.
They told us that several tour buses arrive weekly
mainly filled with visitors from Europe and other parts of the world.
Most are emotionally moved by the film that is shown
which tells the story of that dangerous
Hole-in-the-Rock journey of faith.

 The Relief Society Building was filled with lovely memorabilia.
This particular quilt was made by several women who were descendants of these pioneers.
 I loved the hollyhocks everywhere.
My Grandma Helen used to sit on her porch and teach me
to make little hollyhock dolls.
 (I took this cool photo with a fisheye lense that my friend Ashley gifted me for my birthday.)

 We visited this little spot called Newspaper Rock.
It was full of Native American petroglyphs.



 We stopped by my Grandma and Grandma's former home.
After they passed away a family bought it and turned it into a
 Bed & Breakfast.
 We had a peaceful visit at the Monticello Cemetery
where several of my relatives were laid to rest.

And we visited the beautiful Monticello Temple.

 My cousins and I used to cross the street from 
my grandparent's home
to buy penny candy at this grocery store.
We crossed the border into Colorado to visit
Mesa Verde National Park.
 Court especially loved this spot.
It was awesome to see all the amazing Pueblo cliff dwellings.









Our journey was excellent and we learned a lot.
We are filled with gratitude for the lives
 of those who went before us.
We live in a magnificent place!


3 comments:

Coryn said...

Wow! These are all beautiful pictures! I'm so glad you all had a fun time :)

M-Z-T said...

Love reading about your adventures.

Ashleey Rayback said...

So cool! The pics are amazing.