Thursday, March 27, 2014

Singing Sabbatical

With 'Sweet Sasha' after a Spring Vocal Recital a few years ago.

A lovely former vocal student sent me this photo today
along with some kind birthday greetings.
It gave me a slight pang of missing my life as a vocal teacher/coach.
But then I quickly came back to the reality that I am tired and a little burned out.
I have been teaching for over twenty years and truly love what I do.
But this past year I came to the realization that I was merely going through the motions.
When that happens to any teacher it is time for a break.
Time to rejuvenate, evaluate, and 'sharpen the saw.'
It is never fair to a student for a teacher to be on remote control.
So last fall I stopped teaching for the time being and I plan to re-energize,
take some workshops to improve my skills, and  wait to see if the fire reignites.

No comments: