Monday, December 2, 2013

What does the fox say in a London cemetery?

 photo by Court
Court and I spent a late afternoon strolling through the Brompton Cemetery.
It is considered one of the finest in the country.
On Fulham Road near Earl's Court.
We came upon this fox and for quite some time had a stare down with him.
We were about 8 feet away and I was a bit freaked out
but Court assured me we were safe.
(I do have a strange affinity for the 'fox'
as it is my birth surname and many of my ancestors are from England.)



 Coryn had returned home for work commitments a few days before
and Court was eager for us to find a cemetery to visit before we left London.
(Those who know Court will understand this.)
In fact, on our first visit to this cemetery we arrived after the gates had closed.
So we determined to come earlier the next time.

 The Brompton Cemetery sits on 16.5 acres.
It is massive and difficult to get through in an entire day.

 photo by Court
The cemetery contains over 35,000 monuments,
many of historical importance.

 People from all walks of life are buried there.
Actors, singers, composers, writers, inventors, doctors,
athletes, British military, politicians.



 The cemetery is featured in a number of films such as:
Guy Richie's Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr.,
and Finding Neverland with Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp.

 Beatrix Potter who lived nearby in The Boltons
may have used some of the names from tombstones
for her characters.
Names buried there include: Mr. Nutkins,
Mr. McGregor, Mr. Tod, Jeremiah Fisher,
and even a Peter Rabbett.

 Of course I had to get angel photographs.


photo by Court

3 comments:

Mar C said...

I’ve enjoyed all the post about London. Looking at these latest photo’s made me think about the “The Graveyard” book. You were fortunate to have such great weather as well.

Coryn said...

Sad I couldn't be there for this :( I'm glad you guys had a fun time though. I love these pictures!

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Marci- We love Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book." :) Thanks for your comments.