Thursday, October 11, 2012

Make That TWO Newbery Awards




Two-time Newbery Award winning author
Lois Lowry is on my favorite authors list.
So when I learned months ago that she would
be making a visit to my town
I knew I had to hear her speak.

my blurry photo

That opportunity came last evening.
Ms. Lowry is on a tour to promote her new book
Son
which completes a quad
started by the book
The Giver.

Lois Lowry has authored more than 40 books.
She came into writing later in life
after raising her children.
Her first book was published when she was 40 years old.
I have read several of her books over the years,
but after hearing that number it appears 
I have many more to read.


She is also a photographer and an artist.
In fact, she took the photo for the cover of this book.


I really love this book.
Quite a departure from some of her other writing.
She designed the cover as well as
 illustrated all of the chapter headings 
throughout the book.

photo credit: Rhys Lowry

It was an honor to meet her.
 I like this quote from Ms. Lowry:

"I am a grandmother now. For my grandchildren --and for all those of their generation--I try, through  writing, to convey my passionate awareness that we live intertwined on this planet and that our future depends upon our caring more, and doing more, 
for one another."

No comments: