Saturday, August 25, 2012

Big Footsteps!

 Astronaut Neil A. Armstrong
who passed away today at age 82
was one of my childhood heroes.

I loved this photo taken by Buzz Aldrin
just awhile after his first steps on the moon.

wikipedia

I was just ten years old when he walked on the moon.
I will never forget sitting in front of our
little black and white TV
and watching it all unfold.

Photo taken from the Apollo 11
on July 21, 1969
10,000 nautical miles away.

I always looked at the moon
with great wonder after that
amazing and historical event.
And I always think of Neil Armstrong.

NYC welcomes the Apollo 11 astronauts on August 13, 1969
It was the largest parade in the city's history.
Astronauts Armstrong, Michael Collins, Buzz Aldrin Jr.

I love this quote from his family at his passing:
"Neil Armstrong was a reluctant American hero who always believed 
he was just doing his job.
He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life
and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil,
we have a simple request.
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty,
and the next time you walk outside on a clear night
and see the moon smiling down at you,
think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

 

 

No comments: