Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Make the most of your time here...

"What he wrote is what he is."
~Clayton Christensen


This man is on my "most admired" list.
I had the privilege of taking two of his classes at university.
Organizational Behavior and Leadership Skills.
He was one of my favorite professors.
The many principles I learned from him have helped me in my life.
The concepts he taught in those classes would later become 
the basis of his outstanding book,
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
This book has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.

Tom Smart

I love this photo.
It was taken at the dedication of the  
Covey Center for the Arts.
(I have enjoyed holding my vocal recitals here.)
The Coveys have always been great philanthropists for the arts.
Stephen Covey adored his wife.
He would often bring her to class and have her sing for us.
She is a classically trained soprano. 
While she sang I would watch his face.
He was always beaming with love and admiration for her.


In the early 90's Mr. Covey generously offered his workshops to our community.
The program was offered through Provo Schools
 and each geographic
area was assigned a couple to chair.
My husband and I were given this assignment.
There were a certain amount of slots available for each area.
People who were chosen had to commit 8 weeks to the program.
Bill and I attended training to be support for the workshops.
These workshops which are given around the world to businesses
generally cost thousands of dollars. 
Those of us fortunate enough to participate paid only the largely
discounted cost of the manuals/workbooks.
It was an outstanding experience for those involved.

One of my favorite books by Stephen R. Covey

Many of the famous catch phrases quoted by many in the world
were coined by Mr. Covey.

Some of my favorites:

"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

"Be a light, not a judge.
Be a model, not a critic."

"Strength lies in differences, not similarities."

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

"The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule,
but to schedule your priorities."

"You can't talk your way out of a problem
you behaved your way into."

"To touch the soul of another human being
is to walk on holy ground."

And I leave you with this:

 
 Thanks Brother Covey for teaching us.
And for living your life the way you taught.
 



1 comment:

Mar C said...

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing about a wonderful human being.