Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A moment in my former life...


25 years ago this week I opened in this show:
Rodgers and Hammerstein's
South Pacific.
My patient husband had to put up with me acting
all those love scenes.
(And believe me there were lots of kisses.)
He was a sailor in the chorus
(I think so he could keep an eye on me:).
My charming leading man was old enough to be my dad
and beloved by audiences.
It was quite the learning experience.


This was one of my favorite numbers.

 Nellie Forbush is one of those classic roles
that many actresses want on their resume.
I mean, who doesn't want to sing,
"I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair..."
And I really did wash my hair nightly on stage
in a big metal tub 
with Prell shampoo because it made the best suds.

Two adored directors put the show together.
One of them, Syd Riggs, passed away suddenly
7 years ago this week.
Broadway actress, Natalie Hill wrote a lovely
tribute about her mentor, Syd.
You may read it HERE.

4 comments:

M-Z-T said...

Fun!

Mar C said...

I thought for sure I came to see it. Maybe it was something else since I've only lived in Provo for twenty-two years. You must have had great fun.
I know I saw you at Sundance and BYU as Mrs. Snow.

Who Is Courtney? said...

You are my idol! You ARE Nellie Forbush! That's crazy! How wonderful! Wish I could have seen it.

Olivia Carter said...

Oh, I LOVE IT!