Sunday, August 28, 2011

Steadfast Friends

Trey, his wife Ann, me, Robbie

Saturday we drove to the beautiful Heber Valley to reunite with longtime friends.
The morning started with a 35 mile bike ride
(not including me...ha, ha!)
followed by a lovely catered picnic.
It was a celebration of sorts.
20 years ago, at age 31, my friend Trey was hit by a narcoleptic driver while riding his bike
in Wichita, Kansas.
It is miraculous he lived.
He was in the hospital for 6 months.
It turned the world upside down for his wife and two little boys.
After numerous surgeries and constant pain
he was back competing and doing all the things he loves.
He is literally "Ironman"
with a rod in his spine and metal throughout his body.
He and his wife have competed in triathlons,
Ironman competitions and are avid skiers and bikers.
His wife, Ann has also had more than her share of health challenges,
yet these two continue to lift others
and live life without complaint.

If you're curoius about how all 4 of us are connected,
Read on.
It's a good story:)


I met Trey and Robbie at BYU.
We lived in the same apartment complex.
Robbie became my roommate, best friend and life of the party.
Trey was our family brother and became another best friend.
We spent a lot of time together.
While at BYU Trey was baptized a member of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I sang at his baptism.
Fast forward a year.

Robbie, Trey and I all received mission calls on the same day.
Robbie to Honduras, Trey to Taiwan, and me to Houston, Texas.
We even had a joint "mission farewell."
We all entered the Missionary Training Center on the same day.

On that first day at the MTC, I ran into Ann.

I had gotten to know Ann the summer before when I had served as her Visiting Teacher.
Later, we were no longer in the same ward and lost track of each other.
Imagine my surprise to learn Ann was also going to the same mission as me!!

Trey, Robbie and I would try to meet each day at lunch in the cafeteria.
One day Trey saw us talking to Ann and later asked if
Robbie and I would introduce him to her.
She had caught his eye.
So we did.
Long story short:

Ann and I became mission companions in Houston.
I encouraged both of them to write to each other.
Even when Ann hesitated, not knowing if she should
(she knew he had a girl "waiting" for him)
I pushed a bit.
And they wrote.

Later they were married in the Salt Lake Temple.
I was Ann's maid of honor.
Our three families have stayed connected over 30 years.
Eternal friendships.
The best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! I thought I was looking at Coryn in the last picture.
mc

VaLene Hulme said...

What an amazing survival story. I have a soft spot for bicycle crash victims.

Courtney said...

So cool!

Treble Clef ♪ said...

VaLene-
Small world. Ann and Trey's son, Dallin has done business with Brent at your Bike Shop. He has started a little bike/educational shop at Westminster College. We had a fun conversation and he says Brent is great to work with.