Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Governor, An Award and An Ugly Dress...

Court would want to veto this photo on my blog, but as her mother I can override that decision.

When Court was in 6th grade she entered a national art contest for Hallmark Cards.
It was a contest to design a Mother's Day card.
The national winner's card would be published.
Out of thousands of entries per state, Court's card was selected for our state.
Her card was darling. A mother kangaroo with her joey in her pouch giving her a hug.

Each of the 51 winners were on display for a month at the Empire State Building in NY.
Court was featured in the newspaper, mentioned in Family Circle magazine, won a set of World Atlas Books and a dinner for our whole family was thrown at a local restaurant with a huge banner honoring her complete with a cake and balloons. All very festive.

Then she received a call from the Governor's office.
"The Governor would like to invite your family to come to his office so he can meet you and congratulate you on your talent."

So on the appointed day our entire family dressed up and headed to the State Capitol.
As it had just been Easter I had the girls wear their new dresses which I had so painstakingly sewn. Yes, I was one of those mothers who tried to be domestic and clever and made matching dresses each year for my little darlings.
(My younger daughters will be so relieved to know that our family photo with the Governor turned out blurry and will not be posted. But, yes, one daughter had green butterfly fabric and the other pink.)
WHAT WAS I THINKING?!
I MEAN, COURT WAS 12 YEARS OLD!
No wonder she hates dresses to this very day.
That was the last time I made matching dresses.

Oh, and Governor Leavitt was so warm and personable. He gave us a tour of his office and also Lt. Gov. Olene Walker's office. He presented Court with some memorabilia and took time to talk with her about her art work. He praised her card and asked if he could sign it. He told her to keep developing and sharing her talents with others.

Despite the dresses, it was a fun day.

6 comments:

Michaela said...

You should post the card. and the comic. :)

Anonymous said...

Now that's a cool story.
mc

Rain Coyote said...

Memorabilia? Do you mean the pencil that said "Office of the Governor" on it? ;)

Haha. Yeah, that dress. hummm...yeah.

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Court,
Wasn't that pencil such a nice gift?:)

Caitlyn said...

Hahahah I enjoyed the old butterfly homemade dresses.

M-Z-T said...

Love it! and believe me, I've got photos like that too . . . . . and I just found the dresses my mom used to make.