Sunday, December 12, 2010

"These are a few of my favorite {Christmas} things..."

When I was 18 years old I had the opportunity to sing in a professional performance of this glorious work. It moved me deeply. Later I was honored to sing in another production. Two favorites I performed were "He Shall Feed His Flock" and "He was Despised." If you ever get a chance to see Tim Slover's marvelous play, "A Joyful Noise," I recommend it highly. This recounts the story behind Handel's masterpiece.

My parents took me to my first Nutcracker when I was 8 years old, the same year I started Ballet study with Rocky Spoelstra, one of Ballet West's (formerly Utah Civic Ballet) featured dancers. I fell in love with it! It became an annual tradition. And no company does it better than Ballet West!

What can I say? A true classic. My Christmas season isn't complete if I miss it.

This music is Christmas. In our home we refer to Karen Carpenter's voice as "The Angel Voice." My all-time favorite singer, hands down!

Every year we decorate our Christmas tree to the strains of this Donny Osmond CD. The minute we hear his voice the season has begun. An awesome collection. Love him!

The traditional Fry-pan Date Balls. I make them every Christmas. Sorry...you may not have this secret recipe:)

I started collecting Angel Ornaments when we were first married. Each year I add a new one to the tree. Usually I have my eye on one and pick it up at the after-Christmas sales. The past few years my sweet friend, Jan, has presented me with a Waterford Crystal Angel before Christmas. So lovely in the lights.

I got my first snow globe the year after we were married. A beautiful nativity scene. My collection had begun. I have actually run out of spaces to display them at Christmas.

LOVE this movie! It wraps me up every time. It never grows old. I love Jimmy Stewart! I had the honor to meet him 30 years ago. (He liked my name.) Mr. Stewart was a true gentleman. An honorable human-being. One of the classy old-time actors.

3 comments:

VaLene Hulme said...

We've been to the Messiah Sing-in a couple of times, and we loved it. I always loved it because I remember my mom practicing it many times for many Christmases. I love a lot of those same things. The movie we always watch is The Christmas Story.

Treble Clef ♪ said...

The Christmas Story is also on our favorites list!

Rain Coyote said...

I love those things too!