Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oh That Technicolor Dreamcoat Show...

Court (11), Cory (our Joseph), Coryn (8) and Lia (11) at the dress rehearsal

Yesterday I attended a musical theatre class production of the oft-produced "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." Michaela, one of my awesome vocal students, sang as a narrator. Best vocalist on the stage if I do say so myself:) The entire show is sung and I found myself mouthing the words through-out. It brought back memories of another production.

14 years ago I was vocal coach/children's choir director for a semi-professional staging of the show. Court and Coryn were in the choir. (Did you know that Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice wrote the show for a college class assignment? It has been performed thousands of times in a thousand different ways.)

Our production ran a few weeks in an outdoor venue. One evening the show was threatened by rain. During the last number as Joseph sang the words: "A crash of drums, A flash of light..." as if on cue a loud clap of thunder followed by a large flash of lightening happened. It was amazing. Really. We have it on tape.



For Courtney's 12th birthday, her dad and I took her to see Donny Osmond's touring production of the show. (She and her sister Coryn adored Donny.) It was AWESOME. It was so cool when he flew out over the audience in his amazing colored coat. His vocals were so solid and beautiful. What a fun memory! (Another neat memory was when Court got to sing with Donny on the field (in a children's choir) at the 4th of July Stadium of Fire as he sang a medley from that show.) Great times!

6 comments:

Whitney Bonnett Taylor said...

Hey Trilby! I found your blog through Coryn.
I totally remember when Court, Coryn, and Lia were in that musical at the Scera right? I remember going to see them perform. Crazy how time flies!

Michaela Labit said...

Why thank you!

RainCoyote said...

Yah Donny power! I remember those days!

Cookie Doe said...

What great memories...

Coryn said...

Oh, that picture! Bahahaha!

Caitlyn said...

hahahahah the picture... that is pretty much hilarious.