Friday, February 19, 2010

Love the Olympics!


I love watching the Olympics. Winter Games and Summer Games. One of my Idols in high school was figure skater Dorothy Hamill. Grace on ice. I liked her enough that I wanted her hairstyle. So I was the first in my school to get the Dorothy Hamill Wedge. Not long after many other girls were sporting this style as well.

Wasn't he awesome?

The only sport I can remotely relate to and understand the scoring system for is Gymnastics, as I was a gymnast in high school until I fell on my head off the uneven bars at a meet and got a concussion. Yes...that's what's wrong with me:) I even have a member of my family tree who won two golds, a silver and a bronze in the 1984 games as a member of the USA Men's Gymnastic team. See below.

*My daughter's friend, Melissa, has parents with Olympic ties also. Her mother was a track and field competitor for Brazil in the 1972 Munich Games. Pretty cool.

Lindsay rocked the slope in great pain!

Such a thrill to see competitors going for their personal best after years of training. Persistence, pain, discipline, time, sacrifice, passion . All the qualities that make the athlete realize the goal and achieve the dream.



Peter Vidmar, (cousin from my family tree) winning Olympic Gold in 1984 Games. Read about Peter (perfect 10) and the USA Men's Gymnastic Team's win over the defending World Champions People's Republic of China Team, here. (That's Peter in the middle. On the left is Bart Conner who is married to another of my Idols: The Gold Medal Romanian Gymnast, Nadia Comaneci.)

6 comments:

RainCoyote said...

YAY Olympics! I like watching the half pipe and figure skating. That's funny about Dorthy Hamil's hair!

M-Z-T said...

Yeah, the Olympics are always an event at our house. But it's more the Summer games than the winter, but I like watching anything.

Thanks for the nod! My mom was in the '72, '76, and '80 games.

artistwife said...

I Have been glued to the TV also. I especially love hearing about all our Utah athletes.

Cookie Doe said...

Wow, I haven't watched a single Olympic event this year. I did once have the Dorothy Hamill though...

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Melissa,

I didn't realize Mama Z. was also in those additional Olympics. Truly awesome!

La La Land said...

I also love the Olympics! We watch all of the events. Peter Vidmar was my idol growing up. His sister lived up the street from me, so I got to see him every once in a while. Truly a great man!