Friday, February 27, 2009

Yes, We All Knew This Guy.

Larry H. Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz, passed away a week ago. He was a remarkable person. A rags to riches story. He was the kind of individual that everyone felt they knew. I admired his passion and his tender heart. Though most identify him with the Jazz, his car dealerships and movie theaters, many don't know the depth of his philanthropy. He was an amazingly generous soul. The list of his giving is very long indeed. He always wanted to make the great state of Utah an even better place. One of his many projects that will bless lives for years to come are the Joseph Smith Papers. A remarkable endeavor funded and championed by Mr. Miller.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to meet him and shake his hand. I was at a movie premiere hosted at his Jordan Commons MoviePlex. The composer of the film was Sam Cardon, a college friend of mine. After the movie I greeted Sam with a hug, and then Sam asked me, "Have you met Larry Miller?" I turned and there he was and he shook my hand and I said, "Mr. Miller, it is a pleasure to meet you." And he said, "Call me Larry."

Thanks, Larry!

4 comments:

macoman said...

Oh he passed away. :(

Still it is amazing that he lived that amazing life with owning the Utah Jazz.

Coryn said...

larry miller was an awesome man.

CoyoteLion said...

He was a cool cool guy.

La La Land said...

So many stories are being told since his passing of his generosity. He truly was a great man.

Lucky that you had the chance to meet him!